The village’s name derives from the word caure, meaning ‘hazel tree’. This woodland origin has remained true to reality, preserving its charm. Isolated in the middle of the intensively farmed plain, Caurel is a green oasis which provides the farm buildings and houses with a peaceful landscaped setting, for example the Parc du Moulin, laid out on the site of a quarry. One can better understand the local councillors’ desire to preserve this biodiversity with the creation of the Parc Nature du Château d’Eau and the construction of a house-martin nesting tower. All these initiatives were rewarded by the Grand Jury Prize for Sustainable Beautification (2011).

The centre is dominated by the 12th-century church of Saint-Basle, a listed historic monument since 1921. It houses two remarkable statues, also listed: the Madonna and Child (15th century) and a group representing St Anne and the Madonna and Child (16th century). It is worth taking the path alongside the water tower on the Roman road which linked Reims and Trèves; the Clos du Château plot was laid out on the site of Gallo-Roman remains.

Ergänzende Informationen :

  • Departure city : CAUREL
  • Arrival city : CAUREL
  • Download tour
  • Die natürlichen

Last update : 25-01-2018